This is more of a rant then anything else on how I feel about the topic of alcohol. America has a big alcoholic problem and that is really no debate and it is especially a problem among the young people. As a personal choice, I have chosen to abstain from these destructive habits including drugs and tobacco. However, I have also grown to see that what is for me, is not for everyone else so, I respect other people's decisions to engage in that activity.

I don't criticize anyone for drinking, but it is ridiculous that I am heckled for not drinking. I have never engaged in it and plan to never to do it. I have seen the destructiveness with my own eyes and wish no part. It seems that no one can have respect that I do not do it.

Today in one of my classes, the topic of alcohol was brought up and my professor along with others seemed to have no problem with underage drinking and/or to use of alcohol to socialize or to get drunk.

Here are some interesting and discouraging facts about alcoholism among young people:

  • The average age when youth first try alcohol is 11 years for boys and 13 for girls. The average age at which Americans begin drinking regularly is 15.9 years old.
  • It has been estimated that over three million teenagers are out-and-out alcoholics.
  • The three leading causes of death for 15 to 24 year olds are automobile crashes, homicides and suicides -- alcohol is a leading factor in all three.

It pains me to see young people engaging in destructive activities. It is sad that it is now "cool" to get drunk and/or drinking. The problem here in does not lie with the government but, with the parents and no amount of government intervention can solve the problem. Parents have failed this generation miserably.

I am proud of myself for standing up in the face of temptation and sticking to my principles. And, even though I am one of few that does not engage in alcoholism, it is nice sometimes to be the few and strong.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I completely agree. I also choose to not drink or do drugs.

    In this country it is so common to want everything in excessive amounts, whether it be alcohol, food, clothing, etc. Americans in general do not know how to practice personal responsibility or use moderation. And when something bad does happen as a result of our excessive lifestyles most Americans are quick to blame anyone but themselves. It is ridiculous.

    But anyway, I say if you can handle yourself properly and know when enough is enough, feel free to put whatever you want in your body. Unfortunately this is often not the case and people need to realize that.

    And parents, you do not seem like a cool, young mom or dad when you get alcohol for or host a drinking party for your underage children. They are simply using you.

Post a Comment