Patriotism and the Patriot

I am currently writing a paper for a history class in which I chose to watch the movie the Patriot. I am to examine and discuss a few issues at hand in the movie. I am going to write about [1] the role of the slave in the Revolutionary War, [2] British brutality in the Revolutionary War, and [3] what exactly defines a patriot and what the entitles.

I am very excited to get this opportunity and can not think of a better time than to use a Ron Paul quote in the paper that will greatly show what exactly a patriot is. The quote I am going to use is,

"The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility and out of self-interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state. Resistance need not be violent, but the civil disobedience that might be required involves confrontation with the state and invites possible imprisonment."




1 Comment:

  1. Andrew Kaduk said...
    Hey, do me a favor....

    While you're doing your paper, could you investigate something for me? I've always thought it was hysterically funny that in both The Patriot and Braveheart, the opposing armies were screaming at the tops of their lungs while they ran across the fields to charge into battle.

    Army A: "AAaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!"

    Army B: "ArrrrrrrrrrrRRRrrrrrrrgh!"

    Did armies actually do this, or is it just a Mel Gibson thing?

Post a Comment