Racism in Blueberry Festival?

I found myself doing something that I rarely do -- reading the News Sentinel. The following is a letter that outraged me. It was sent in by Anthony Gabriel of Fort Wayne regarding racism and a festival:

"I recently attended the blueberry festival in Plymouth. There must have been about 10,000 people there. I noticed that there was not one black person.

I have to conclude that racism has not improved but is still the same. Is this happening only in Indiana?"


How preposterous. You concluded that it is racism because you did not see any blacks there? Are there not other factors involved? What about the day you were there? or, the time? or, the location? Maybe it just didn't appeal to the black community? What about the population of blacks in Plymouth? In fact, Plymouth is located in Marshall County and according to the Indiana Natality Report of 2004, Marshall County only had 256 blacks compared to its 45,772 whites.

Enough said.

3 Comments:

  1. Aspergers.life said...
    I suppose the argument could be made that blacks stayed away because they don't like whites.
    Cory Craig said...
    Another reasonable argument. Lol.
    Anonymous said...
    Some people just don't understand the concept of racism or what it actually means. Sad really.

Post a Comment