When Are We Considered Human?

Throughout all of my discussions throughout the years on the issue of abortion, I have found that all of these arguments -- from either side -- come down to one main issue: when are we considered human and/or when are we determined alive?

I am well aware that I go against the mainstream libertarian philosophy although, I believe that the mainstream is terribly wrong and terribly contradictory. This issue is hardly an emotional one for me rather, it is more of a logical one. Don't get me wrong, the aborting of innocent humans do hit me on an emotional level but, when it comes to philosophy and law-making, I focus on the logical side.

So then, here is my logic -- if we consider a human dead when their heart is no longer beating, should not we also consider a human alive when that heart beat begins? If this is true, then the aborting of a human is an act of violence, an initiation of force which is, contradictory to the very core of libertarianism. And, if one is not sure when to determine the beginning of human life, how many more negligent decisions would they make concerning human life?

This is not a matter of the right of the woman, it is a matter of a human life.

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Actually, death is not when the heart stops beating. Death is when the brain stops functioning well enough to manage the body independently.
    Cory Craig said...
    I would highly disagree with you.

    Why would we pronounce someone dead in the hospital when there heart stops beating?

Post a Comment